Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ding! Round 2 Begins

My friends in Baywood 6th South gave me a warm welcome back when I returned to the hospital on Tues, Aug., 31, feeling stronger and with better blood counts than I did on my first entry, so we’ll see how this round treats me. Yesterday I set Pandora music station to Olivia Newton-John songs and that brought up a flood of 70’s memories as I tried to do some dance moves (exercise) in my smaller quarters hooked up to an IV pole. But after harder chemo yesterday, nausea set in and finally a bowl of cereal stayed down his morning. It’s an up and down ride, so my sister had me write on the white board in my room, “I will feel great again!”, to look at when I am in a slump.

As I was home during those two weeks, my heart was filled with gratitude for all the little things I take for granted. One of my friends posted this: Expect nothing and be grateful for everything! That made me think. On top of my everything gratitude list would be my children and other family members. They are sticking by me through thick and thin, and I have called them at all hours. I enjoyed all the comforts of home, and the ability to choose when and what I wanted to do. I had great meals generously shared by sweet friends and messages from many with prayers and support. It will all return and be even sweeter when all of this is over. I am most grateful to a loving Heavenly Father who provides for my needs and wants, especially at this time.

I wanted to share with you a one day journal of my hospital life yesterday. These are things that help pass the time. I was able to greet the following many visitors who came into my room:
Nurse- approx 10 times (lots of chemo bags to change)
Nurse’s aide-checks on my needs and empties my commode (which is quite often, based upon aforementioned fluid bags going into my body)
My Dr-5 min at max.
The Hospital Dr.-Less than 5 min.
PICC line nurse-checks picc line
Sharps container man-empties sharps container which I don’t use, but he checks it anyway.
Dietary-Takes my food order, told her to come back when I wasn’t throwing up.
Food delivery-I look forward to their visit, although I have eaten 2 small bowls of cereal by time they bring breakfast at 9.
Tray pickup-1 hour after food delivery
Comfort Cart Man- offers books and magazines which I can’t read because chemo has messed up my eyes.
Housecleaning-quick wipe and mop
Family visitors-best of all when my sisters or son come by

Besides greeting all my visitors, I try to take a sponge bath as privately as possible between visitors. I have learned to do it in sections so I can be somewhat decent if someone pops in. The tricky part about the gown is undoing the snaps on the picc line sleeve and redoing them one handed. Then reaching behind and matching the colored ties so nothing is showing. TahDah! I feel like clapping for myself when I finish.

So even though the main piece of furniture in the room is a bed, I haven’t been able to use it much during the day.

I ended my day last night by reading from my Book of Mormon, Mosiah 24, at the suggestion of my son. For those of you who don’t have a Book of Mormon, it tells the history of an earlier people who inhabited the American continent before Christ. Prophets at this time taught the people about Christ and His future coming so they had great faith. This story talks about a group of these believing people who were in bondage to their enemies who wouldn’t even let them pray. This didn’t stop them from praying in their hearts. The Lord heard their cries and told them to be of good comfort, that He would “ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage.”

Then it continues, “the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.”

He didn’t take away their trials, but we have been promised that we won’t be given anything harder than we can bear with His help. I am feeling this as I submit to His plan for me and take it a day at a time. So much to learn.

Love you all.

No comments: