Sunday, September 19, 2010

Food Cravings

One of my many joys of being home between chemo treatments is the delicious food that is delivered to my door each evening. It’s like Christmas as I look forward with anticipation to see what the menu is for the night. The food is being shared by my two sisters and many ladies in my church. The only other times I remember being this excited about food was when I was pregnant, nursing, or on a large dose of prednisone for a few months. I would read recipe books as if they were novels. That feeling is back and after hospital food, I love it.

When I got home from chemo number 1, I was very nauseated and had little appetite, but my church friends stepped up to the challenge and brought me the comfort food I had requested; low seasonings, bland, soups, your basic ulcer diet. It was heavenly and just what I needed to strengthen my body. This time home, my taste buds did a 360º turn about and I have been craving regular, seasoned, good old American, Mexican, and Italian food. It took one email to Jessie, my friend who arranges the meals, and the changes have been just that! So good and delicious tasting. I even had a cub scout troup fix me spagetti and homemade rolls last night. Yummo. As I eat by myself, I picture me sitting in a very quiet restaurant eating out.

I am also eating almost hourly, and their meals usually provide the next day’s lunch while I am busy figuring what to eat in between. Such a nice change from the first time. I hope it means my body is bouncing back and will get stronger for the next round.

I was visiting with a friend this week and shared experiences from my previous hospital stays, both good and bad. It wasn’t until later that I realized in a more personal way why my father had not shared his war experiences with our family until the last few years, some 65 years after the war. The mind is powerful and sharing my experiences took me back to those hard moments in the hospital I wanted to forget, but knowing I was going to have to return, made it even more unpleasant. I am trying hard once again to focus on each day, looking for the positives, not reliving the past of this challenge, and not worrying about the future. It’s not easy to do, but if I keep enough good thoughts going in my mind, and find worthwhile things to do, the days are better.

I continue to see the Lord’s hand in this as his earthly angels share their food and love with me.

2 comments:

Sandee said...

Oh how I love this little window into your journey. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for inspiring me to be more courageous in my own journey. Love ya. Still praying.....Sandee

Lana and Terry said...

I love that you can eat food and actually be hungry. One of the few things in life that we can indulge in:) Thanks for updating and posting on your blog. It is my inspiration and helps me try harder every time I read it. Hang in there because everyone loves you and is praying for you!!