Saturday, September 11, 2010

New Twist

Good news--I’m home for about 2 weeks. New twist--stem cell work has been postponed until after a third round of chemo. I thought I would be starting this week, but after communication between doctors, this was the decision they came to. I had a meeting with my Dr., sisters, and son, in the hospital telling us of this on Wed. morning. The night before the meeting I was feeling discouraged because I was thinking something was up. I hadn’t received my daily shot and I knew that was part of the stem cell plan. As I was sitting there trying to figure out how I could move forward and get control of the situation, the third verse of the hymn, “How Firm a Foundation”, came clearly into my mind.
The words are:

Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

I was reminded, I AM NOT IN CONTROL! A wiser, loving Father is at the helm and He is guiding my journey right now. This is the best plan for His reasons; I can’t see, but just believe. As much as I was hoping to be through with the chemo at this hospital, I will return for a third round the end of the month. He can see what I can’t. . . and the Doctors can’t. I am using this time now to focus on each day’s opportunities while I am home and not think about the future. I am also eating every hour, and craving spicy foods, no less. I was up at 3 a.m. this morning having a toast. (They don’t offer that in the hospital, however, they did bring me an Ensure milkshake each day at 3 p.m.)

I need to tell you about a gadget my son, Russell, surprised me with, and Mark set up. The hospital has a TV, but an ancient remote that only goes up and down for channels and has a volume dial, no mute. Russ ordered me a techno item called a Slingbox, and had it delivered to Mark. Mark then hooked it up to my DVR at home and then set it up on my laptop at the hospital. I have my home recorded programs AND the remote on my computer screen where I can watch any time I want. I can also skip commercials just like at home and mute. It is amazing.

I am so blessed with loving care from my sisters and family. Sweet friends are bringing me meals again and sending messages of faith, and I’m sleeping in my own bed. What more could I want?

3 comments:

Jessie Nichols said...

Hello sweet lady! Love your sweet testimony. So very simple. Judy shared this in her lesson in RS and you always touch my spirit. Love ya tons!

Lana and Terry said...

Is there anyone I know that is more positive and upbeat than you? NO! You continue to inspire and motivate me. I hope you feel our prayers for you. Can I say it one more time: YOU ARE MY HERO!!

Patti M said...

You are so smart and such a blessing to all who know you! We love you and wait for your return to Sonoma!