Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow!

That’s the phrase that came to my mind as my friend, Julie, cut off my hair yesterday. On Sunday I was pulling it out by the handfuls so I slept in a shower cap that night, but that was a bad plan. My head was a sauna when I woke, but it did keep the hair off my bed. Julie wasn’t working on Monday, so I found a hair net in my antique collection and wore it all day. Every time I looked in the mirror with my flat hair, it reminded me of my Grandmother Hatch when she worked at my Jr. High cafeteria. In fact, my children wouldn’t be surprised if I told you I might have used this hair net in 7th grade cooking class. It was in a package of three priced at 29¢.

Russell and Aubri accompanied me as quiet supporters and watched as the shears gently revealed my little head. I had enough hair for three people, so I still have much stubble that will fall out over the next few weeks. I wear cotton night caps to catch it. Just think what I wouldn’t know if I hadn’t already been through this? It was still a courage moment for me, but knowing that it grows back, made it easier to face. (As well as remembering that it is cooler, less time consuming, and that it takes 1.5 minutes to don a wig.) I still do a double take when I look in the mirror and just smile. . . .

Today both my kids flew back to their homes in Nashville, TN and Provo, UT. As sad as it was for me sending them off, I know we are each where we need to be right now. Each on our own journey. I loved having them here, laughing, playing cards, and just enjoying being together while wearing our masks. It was what I needed to begin my healing and strengthening. My job now is to keep the momentum going.

I received this poem, during my first go round in ’08, from my sweet cousin who has also fought the cancer battle. I loved it then and had to reread it now. It’s message is for me with or without hair.

Attitude

There once was a woman who woke up one morning,
Looked in the mirror,
And noticed she had only three hairs on her head.
Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today."
So she did.
And
She
Had
A
Wonderful
Day.

The next day she woke up,
Looked in the mirror
And saw that she had only two hairs on her head.
"H-M-M," she said,
"I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."
So she did.
And
She
Had
A
Grand
Day.

The next day she woke up,
Looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.
"Well," she said,
"Today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail."
So she did.
And
She
Had
A
Fun,
Fun
Day.

There are some things that can’t be taken away from us! Love to all.

6 comments:

Sandee said...

Ya. Hair is overrated. I was told once by a friend that my hair was a security blanket to me. Hmmm...........guess I'd be in world of hurt!
Your humor is inspiring. I remember this funny poem from the last time. I remember the day we all watched as they shaved my Dad's head to the nubbins....
Keep the faith. Still praying for you. Excited to be bringing you dinner tonight! Love ya!

Bonnie said...

I hear the somberness in your message. I'm sure you are missing your kids. Can I give you a hug through your blog? Did you feel it? Miss and love you!

annelise said...

Dear Karen
I just found your blog when someone in your ward send Jim a e-mail letting us know of your cancer. I had no idea, you had cancer. I read your blog and a flood of memories, (all sweet) came to me...
I want you to know how much I love you and your family, you were the Balm of Gilead when I first got here.. In my heart there will always be a special spot for you, the boys and my sweet little girl.
I love you, and I will be praying for you everyday...Please send Aubrie and the boys a hug from me...
lots of Hugs
Carmen

Lana and Terry said...

I love the poem about hair and I love your positive, optimistic attitude. I'm really sure it was sad to have Aubri and Russell leave. Holly and her 2 boys (and us) will be leaving on Wed. for Albany to help get her and Ryan settled in their new home. I just need to remember what you said that we are all in the places that we need to be right now. Once again, you are my hero!!!

Lana and Terry said...

P.S. Our love and prayers are with you:)

Alecia said...

Karen - I can't tell you how much I love you. You are an inspiration to me now and have always been! I learned so much from you as you v.t. companion and have so appreciated your insight and faithfulness over the years. My love and prayers are with you. I'm so sad when I think about you having to do this again! I wish I could be more helpful and hate that you have to go through this so alone. Know that we anxiously await your return to health and fellowship! Love, Alecia