Monday, August 2, 2010

The Journey Begins

Whew. My mind is spinning after 2.5 hours of information from the stem cell Dr. Briggs, the case manager, the financial gal, and the social worker at Good Samaritan Hospital. My son, Mark, was my compadre through all this. I made the trip into Phoenix quite weak from lack of sleep due to increased sweats and a cough, and when I don’t feel strong physically, I begin to lose it emotionally. However, I noticed as the Dr. was talking to me about each procedure and side effects and risks, I was able to accept it with an extra measure of strength that can only come from Christ. He has felt every pain I will feel, He, and His many angels will be there every step of the way.
The plan also includes many caregivers necessary for home procedures and driving. I know much love will be shown during all of this.
So here’s the plan at this point. It will be a step by step plan, with each step dependent upon the success of the step before. I will enter Banner Baywood hospital tomorrow for the first round of strong chemo to begin the cleanse process. This will last 4-5 days. Then there will be a 2-3 week wait in between to get strong enough for the next round in the hospital. Dependent upon Dr. Long’s (my local oncologist) wishes, there may be a pet scan between rounds or at the end of #2. If the chemo has done it’s job of getting rid of the cancer cells, then I begin care from Dr. Briggs. She collects my stem cells which they will freeze and plan to reuse. While they are freezing, I will have more chemo which she said is ten times stronger that the two previous. (Yep, it just keeps getting better!) After seven days of that 10x strong chemo, they thaw my stem cells and put them back in. That begins the fun part of monitoring and praying as the cells begin to do their job again to take me from 0 on the richter scale of immunity, to a positive number. This takes up to 3-4 weeks in the hospital. I was reminded that cancer is not for wimps. (Repeat after me: I am not a wimp. I am not a wimp.)
Good news is that the cure rate is 60-70%. Without the transplant, 0%. Hey, I’m not a gambler, but I know which odds I’m going with.
So there’s the mini version of my life for the next several months. It will be a roller coaster, but I’m in it for the long haul! It could be the mini version of any of our lives, with different challenges, risks, and derailments. I have a strong belief that our lives are especially tailored for each one of us and that Heavenly Father is aware of our every need. Our job is to listen and be guided along that path with faith to move forward.
I remembered a favorite song that goes like this:

Step by step I’ll climb the steepest mountain.
Step by step I’ll cross the raging sea.
There is nothing I can’t do, doing it with two.
Dear Lord stay step by step, ahead of me.

We can do this! Love you all.

10 comments:

Cathy Leavitt said...

Karen, I know you can do this...you are strong...you can do this. My thoughts and prayers are with you, my dear friend. Love you, Cathy

joy arnett said...

Hello Karen, Thank you so much for thinking to include me in knowing about your blog. I must admit that I jsut sat at the computers with my face in my hadns and jsut wept for a while. Iso appreciate your inspiring attitude and thank you for being who you are... always lifting others with your genuine sweet honesty and integrity of feelings and thoughts. You are one of the rare few who bless others throught their trials. You are such a gentle giant that is so amazingly valiant even in trials. Please know how much I love you and am inspired by you and thank you for your countless examples of just plain goodness and endurance. I count you as one of my most cherished blessings.
Much love,
Joy

Bonnie said...

Thank you for letting us know what the outline lies ahead for you. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish I could take this away, this trial, couldn't it just have been something different. Heck, you cleared it the first time! Please know how much I love you. You inspire me to be a more patient and better person. Take care.

Jen said...

Karen, I was so saddened to hear of the return of your cancer. The room was so silent when your message was read. I have always been so in awe of your strength and positive nature. You have this great gift of looking on the bright side, something you have inspired me to do with your example. Your love of life and all the simple things in life is so inspiring and I know it will catapult you to conquering this once again. I hope you don't mind if I include my mom in knowing about your blog. She is a "good prayer" and will surely pass your name to the prayer line at her church. Of course, you will be in my prayers as well! If I send something to your house will there be a way for you to get it, or is there another address I should send it to? Stay strong in knowing that there are so many people awaiting your recovery and return. You will be missed until then.
Love,
Jen Church

Myrna Anderson said...

Karen
I hope you know that you can count on me for anything that you need that I am able to help with. Just let me know. My love and prayers continue to be with you as you go through this journey. You are such an example of faith, and I appreciate this so much about you. Many lives will change for the better as they watch your example and that blesses all of our lives that have the privledge of knowing you and call you friend.

Sending love and hugs
Myrna

Sandee said...

I love your blog title!!!
Seems like "An Angel's Journey with Angels" would have been even more appropriate! I too have to sit and read and cry. Now I know what they meant by the oft quoted phrase, "read em' and weep"!
You are an amazing individual in every way. Once again you set off on this journey with determination, poise, and grace....something that few of us would possess under even less trying circumstances. So many prayers are being offered in your behalf. So many tender feelings felt. Love you so much, Karen. Keep the faith.
Sandee

Luke Seibolt said...

Karen-
About an hour prior to Bonnie reading your precious note to us, I asked a number of people where you were. There was utter silence as your letter was read, along with many tears. My heart has ached for you all weekend. Know you are in my prayers (and Luke's) each day and if there is anything I can do for you or your family please let me know. I'm gathering my books and magazines to hopefully occupy your time. Your faith and love for Christ and his angels shows you will use this time to grow and deeply understand life. I love you and will miss you terribly.
Gail Seibolt
P.S. This may come across from Luke, but I have a blog on Google in his name telling about his journey in med school and it is ME!

Anna Canen said...

Karen,
I, too, am saddened by the news and cannot get you off my mind. I have felt a bond to you, whether you've known it or not, since I had my loss. I always needed to know you were doing well and were healthy. Reading your blog, I am in awe of your strength and your faith. I have confidence that you can and will beat this! I will continue to offer my prayers. Please know that so many angels are indeed entering this journey with you. To you, I offer my littlest angel to pray & help you through this.

Unknown said...

Karen,
Thank you so much for including me in on this update of what's going on with you. You are so amazing and a wonderful example to me with your attitude of trust in the Lord. You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. You have a rough road ahead but if you can just keep the outlook you have now, you'll be able to handle whatever may come. Love you much.

Jessie Nichols said...

Oh Karen...I love you! I am here right around the corner. Please let me know what I can do. I am out of town for the weekend and returning on the 15th for a wedding. Please have Mark, Alisa, Aubri let me know what you meal agenda requires and I will make sure you are taken care of my Love and Prayers go out to you! Chin up gal! You Are NOT a WIMP!