Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy 2011

It’s a brand new year, with new hopes, new challenges, and new adventures!  As my children left to go back to their own homes in Provo and Nashville, I was sad because with them went the noise, laughter, game nights, and life that had filled this house for 10 days.  It was the best medicine for me and I continually thanked the Lord that everyone was healthy and able to stay here.

I was feeling so blessed to be able to attend my daughter’s wedding events, that to be able to continue the good life by participating with my extended family in our traditional Christmas party and program, Christmas Eve Mexican dinner, and the Christmas Day dinner, was more than I expected.  My prayers were of praise and thanks with nothing else to ask for.

I was thinking of Christmases past, each having a story of its own.  Some of my memories include both boys throwing up at the same time in different bathrooms on Christmas morning, using a speaker phone to open presents with the kids because I was in the hospital, having a secret Santa deliver a large box of food to my doorstep my first Christmas as a single mom, and other years being the recipient of generous gifts of money left at the door. I know Christmas may not always be merry for everyone.  Maybe that’s why the New Year follows with hope for better. 

I know that Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ love us, know each of us personally, and will not give us any trial beyond our ability to handle.

3 comments:

Lana and Terry said...

I know what you mean about the house getting quiet when the kids (and grandkids) leave. It always makes me sad too. I love your new post. You have such a lovely and optimistic way with words. We are still praying for you and pray that the new year brings wonderful things, but for sure Heavenly Father is there for us! Love you!

Cathy Leavitt said...

Happy New Year to you, my dear friend. Here's hoping the new year will find you with continued recovery and many happy blessings. Love You!

bestrassburg said...

Dear Karen,
I was so pleased to read that you were able to attend Aubri's wedding and participate fully in all of the events. I know how much that means. My grand-daughter would say, "You are one tough buzzard!" The Lord's blessings are sweet beyond compare. Thank you for being you. Love you, Denise Strassburg