Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 60

(1-13)I just returned from my Dr. visit, but to fully understand my anticipation for today’s visit, we need to rewind to my check up on Dec. 30.  I had just participated in the wedding activities and family Christmas parties and was feeling great.  When they checked my labs, all of my blood counts had dropped from the time before, especially my white cell count.  The Dr. had expected to be able to release me to my other oncologist, but then she decided to keep me until today to recheck everything.  She mentioned a bone marrow test if the counts did not improve.  She had me stop all supplements and an antibiotic.

I have felt better and stronger each day and had asked my family to fast and pray for me.  I knew I was in the Lord’s hands, and that this was a time to work on my faith.  He could easily change my blood levels, but if this was a bump in the road, then I prayed that I would be strengthened to handle whatever I needed to.  Then there were other less faithful days when I thought if it was a bump, I would just crawl under the beautiful hand made quilt on my bed and not come out.

The results today showed the white blood cell count at 2.1 which was down from 2.5 last time, but the other numbers were up, which meant to her that the little stemmies were trying to get the WBC up.  Even though it wasn’t where she had hoped it would be, she said it was good and to come back in two more weeks.  She couldn’t explain why, but said sometimes they fluctuate, or I had a virus.  Yea!  My sister and Mother went as my cheerleaders and they were happy, too.


While we were waiting for the lab results to come back a patient slowly walked by us with his IV pole and caregiver following.  I had done this routine many times because they encouraged us to get out of bed and walk as much as we could.  It is a tedious, energy draining exercise, so I cheered him on as he passed.  He asked if I had been through the process.  He was on day 12 and having a bad day, so the very presence of someone on day 60 being up, dressed, and feeling good, seemed to boost him.  I remember when the Lord placed people in my path on that floor to give me encouragement and hope.

It was another reminder that one of our main purposes is to help each other on this journey.  My friend in Queen Creek has volunteered with “London’s Run” for several years and compares life with a race. "We all begin at birth and end at death.  It doesn't matter how one finishes the race--whether you have riches, are popular, or poor, etc., all that matters is how many people we have helped along the way."

This picture of my granddaughters, taken by their mother, says it all. 

1 comment:

Cathy Leavitt said...

We have been in the organizing mode lately...getting old boxes out of the crawlspace, going through them, tossing what's not important and compiling the rest. Came across some old "Treasures of Truth" scrapbooks, and an old letter from you, written in high school. It said something like "when we got old, we would look back at some of the struggles we were having and laugh." I think think you were right. The struggles back then aren't anything compared to now. Who would've guessed that our lives would've taken us in the directions they have. I love you, my dear friend. Keep up the positive thoughts and your great faith, and I will continue to pray for you. You'll get through this.