Friday, January 21, 2011

An Amazing Book

Someone once asked me what I did with all my time.  I started to make a list which looked a little flimsy considering I was home all day.  Healing.  But then my list began to take on  more depth as I gained strength.  The wedding planning took most of my time prior to Christmas, but since then I have been able to walk more, prepare my own meals, work on family video projects, and read.

Last night I finished one of those great books where a single reading is not enough. The kind that keeps rolling around in your mind until you get back to it.  I’m not a night owl who can read a book in one sitting, but this would probably fall into that category of those who do.

The book is an autobiography, And There Was Light, written by Jacques Lusseyran.    It had been recommended by a friend in the 90’s when its message was as pertinent to me then as it is now.  It wasn’t an easy read because there is so much depth to it, but I discovered a newness about it this second time; a reminder about life, its deeper meaning, and the untapped resources that are available for us to take full advantage of within the soul.  In my list of top three, it’s right up there next to The Hiding Place , by Corrie Ten Boom, and The Robe by Douglas.

Jacques was blinded in an accident as a child of eight, and masterfully writes how he used his blindness as a gift instead of a handicap.  He is able to describe light, fear, love, music, and friendship in words that paint pictures even though these are intangible.  At age 16 he became a leader in the French underground movement during World War II, using his heightened senses to provide leadership, hope, and courage to those around him.  As a Christian, he recognized the hand of the Lord in his life, sustaining him through the worst of times.  His life makes mine look like a walk in the park.   

He ends the book with these “two truths, intimately known to him and reaching beyond all boundaries.  The first of these is that joy does not come from outside, for whatever happens to us it is within.   The second truth is that light does not come to us from without, Light is in us, even if we have no eyes.”  (pg. 312)

It has caused me to become more appreciative and aware of life around me.  Gifts freely given that I need to take more advantage of.  Happiness, joy, no matter what our circumstances.  Living to our full potential.  Things I knew, but needed reminding.

Clues I’m getting better:
Wearing clothes about as much as pajamas.
Wearing shoes more than slippers.
Walking to get my mail. (Sweet neighbor used to do this for me.)
Flossing my teeth. (This is big, coming from the sponge toothbrush at the hospital.  Sisters were instructed to hide it from me when I was released.)

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I read "Then There Was Light" many years and LOVED it. What an inspiring story. And your blog always inspires me as well. I continue to pray for you.

Lana and Terry said...

I haven't read "Then There Was Light," but definitely want to read it now. I truly love when you update your blog, because it always inspires me and uplifts me. Keep me posted on your next doctor's appt. You are in our prayers and we love you!! By the way, I loved "The Hiding Place." Definitely one of my favs:)