Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Christmas Miracle

I am still smiling about my daughter’s wedding weekend, but first rewind time to Thanksgiving weekend.  I was physically and mentally at my worst.  I had seen Aubri and Bryan for a few minutes in the hospital, but on Sunday as they drove through snowy roads back to Provo, I was mourning the fact that the timing of my illness would cause me to miss my daughter’s wedding.  I prayed, asking for comfort, knowing there was a reason for it all.  Monday night I had a blessing that my ear ache and fever would calm down and I would be calm and able to sleep.  I did, and the next day, (Nov. 30), the Dr. felt I was well enough to be released.
  
At that time my goal was to attend her small wedding on Saturday (Dec. 18) and with my family’s help, it was looking like a go.  Then, two days before the wedding I saw my Dr. and she said I was doing so well that I should attend everything.  To be honest, this caught me off guard and I looked at Mark, questioning this.  Was I really ready to come out into the world?  After five months of pajama’s or hospital gowns this was a scarey prospect.

I knew the Lord had provided this miracle for me and I prayed for the faith to move forward.  It was an amazing weekend from beginning to end and I needed it to bring closure to my life with Aubri as my single daughter.

I was able to attend the wedding dinner Fri. night, which the Blacker family presented beautifully. I had fully intended to be there via skype and had typed out my advice to the couple for Mark to read.  I was able to sit at the table with his parents, next to Aubri, and deliver my thoughts in person. The love of family from both sides was very strong.

The wedding was Sat. at 12:45 in the LDS Temple.  It was a small group of family in a room filled with love and eternity.  I was able to be in a wheelchair and sit next to Aubri again.  The love that filled their eyes was deep and forever.  I needed to see that.  They couldn’t stop smiling, or keep their eyes off one another.  A new link in my posterity was formed.

One of the special parts of the whole weekend was being able to help her dress, and lace up the back of her wedding gown, at least three times, for pictures, wedding, and reception.  Just one of those many things I will remember forever.  She was healthy and able to stay here, which we had prayed for.  Russell was also able to come from Nashville and took over as my care-giver for the week.  Mark was a key player in the wedding planning and I was able to see Alisa and my granddaughters finally after many weeks.

My energy was running low, but I was so excited to be able to attend the reception in person.  I participated in pictures, then sat at a far table to observe for a while.  It was a gift of love to me and my family how everything came together, from decorations, food, set up and clean up, to all the little details you take for granted at others’ receptions.  Thanks to all of you who helped in anyway. Thanks, also, to those who attended on this very busy Saturday night.  I could just feel the love and support in that room.

I can’t express enough thanks to my Savior and Heavenly Father for their love and strength that allowed me to do this.  I know miracles still happen and I was part of one.

“For with God, nothing shall be impossible.  And Mary said, ‘Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word’.”  (Luke 1:37-38)

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Lana and Terry said...

It truly was a miracle that you could attend all of the events of Aubri's exciting time. It was so great to see you at the reception. You looked so good! I hope you are getting lots of rest and recovering from your busy weekend. It was a special time and I agree that miracles do happen. We love you and wish you a Merry Christmas!

Cathy Leavitt said...

I'm so glad this miracle happened for you. I was thinking about you and wondering how you would feel if you could not attend. So happy that it all worked out. We had a little Christmas miracle of our own today...grandbaby #9 was born this morning...a sweet granddaughter to Tom Amanda...little Lydia is very a very precious sweet baby, born after a very lengthy difficult labor. Mom and baby are doing well. We flew into CT yesterday, so we were able to be here for her birth. Also having fun with 2 1/2 yr old big sister Lucy. Merry Christmas!