Sunday, October 24, 2010

Life Without Stem Cells

So, I had my question answered as to how a person would feel without stem cells?  No different.  I have had a good week, feeling stronger each day.  When I feel like wearing my shoes instead of slippers and have the energy to do a little treadmill each day, I know my body is gradually coming back from the chemo and healing.

Only one trip to the hospital this week and that was to treat a UTI, but they were on top of it and started me on the antibiotic even before I left the clinic.  Since my body is more susceptible to infections, they wanted to nip it in the bud.

With my daughter getting married mid December, I will not be able to attend her reception since it will be during my critical healing period where I need to avoid as many germs as possible.  I had the idea to ask our wedding photographer, Bruce Barnes, if he could take a picture of me now, while I was feeling good, and then paste me into the wedding line shots.  He agreed to work with me on this, so I had a fun week preparing for the shoot.  Monday, Kathy and I went to the Chandler Hospital Cancer wig room and picked out an updated short, brown wig to wear.  These are wigs that people donate to the cancer society.  Then my sweet mother spent 4 hours shopping at the mall and bought me a deep purple, sequined jacket to wear with my black skirt.  Whoo hoo!  It was totally out of my closet comfort zone, but I dressed up and went to the photo shoot on Friday.

We took the pictures in his home with a white background and with his technical knowledge, I’m sure it will look like I’m right there.  He took several shots of me at different standing angles, and will choose one, depending on how I will best fit in the line.  He took some shots with my wig and then bald.  I want a shot to show the real story. 

On Friday afternoon my mother, son, two sisters, and a niece spent 3 1/2 hours at the hospital attending a class for caregivers.  They received very specific instructions about food preparation, home cleanliness, and care for me once I am home from the transplant. They will pack up everything in my home that can collect dust, all my knickknacks and pictures, clean the carpets, wash the curtains, empty my frig and freezer, to mention a few things.  I spent the afternoon during the time they were in the class teary eyed and so grateful for such wonderful family who will give up their afternoon for me.  Even now as I write this I feel so blessed and humbled by their love and support.  Oh, that everyone would have a chance to feel this!  

My tests are scheduled for T/W/Th next week and then I will meet with the Dr. to go over the results and find out when I will begin their chemo.  When my case manager showed me the schedule, and I found out I was going to be later starting the next phase than I had expected, rather than look on the positive side that I would be able to be home longer, I was upset at her for being slow about this.  Then I remembered that she may be my case manager, but my true guide through this is still in charge and everything will be just right according to His time schedule.  I continue to pray that I don’t miss out on what He is trying to teach me.  Thanks for all of your prayers and support.  I feel it.

4 comments:

Mark said...

So Mom, I forgot to tell you that they told us in the caregiver class that once you are released you are not able to receive any more tattoos or body piercings. I know you had had your eye on a tattoo of Sully from Dr. Quinn for your right ankle, but now it will have to wait! Oh the things cancer makes you give up.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen, I check up on you through your blog to see how things are going. You never cease to amaze me with your positive attitude and sense of humor!! You truly are an example of faith and hope. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! You are an angel.

natalie todd said...

So after reading Mark's comments, I think we should all have a tattoo just to show our support. What do you think? Like Holly said, you are s continued inspiration to all of us with your sense of humor, your amazing faith and most of all, just being the fabulous Karen that we all know and love. Our prayers are still with you daily. We love you!! By the way, this is Lana commenting. We are in L.A. visiting Natalie, Dave and little Lucy.

Sandee said...

You continue to be an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing. Still praying....