Sunday, February 20, 2011

100 Days!

Today marks 100 days since my stem cell transplant.  This is the often-talked-about marker of wellness for stem cell patients to work towards, when they are released from the hospital. 100 days ago seemed like light years away.  Today I look back in awe and thankfulness at all the healing and miracles that have occurred.  I had my final Ct scan and Pet scan on Valentine's Day to check for any remaining cancer cells, but I won't know the results until my visit with the Dr. on Thursday.  I am feeling the best I have through this journey.

Meanwhile, it has been a cra•zy week!  In my last blog I mentioned that my son, Mark, was hospitalized for pulmonary embolism.  He was able to return home after a week’s stay and is continuing tests to figure out the cause and treatment.  Four days after his return, his wife, Alisa, who is due with their third child mid March, had bad pain in the middle of the night and was taken by ambulance to the hospital with possible kidney problems.  Luckily she was released the next day with pain meds and began to improve each day.  It might have been a kidney stone.

Then my mother began feeling ill the end of the week of Alisa’s hospitalization and went to the Dr., but they sent her home with a fever and other symptoms over the weekend to wait until Monday for tests.  When she went for the tests they sent her right over to the emergency room at Baywood Hospital where she was hospitalized (after a 10 hour wait) for an infected gall bladder and operated on the following day.  She was released last Thursday, so we have been able to help her, with extra care from my sister who came down from Utah for the weekend.  Whew.  We hope we are done with hospitals at least until the baby comes.

This week, I will begin teaching again for three mornings a week until after spring break when I will begin full time.  I am ready to go back, but it feels like the first day of school approaching and I have a few butterflies in my stomach when I think of going back out into the world.  I continue to pray that God will guide me to those paths that He would have me travel during this second life. 

I read this quote from Joseph F. McConkie’s devotional address at BYU:  “It is not the design of heaven that we be rescued from all difficult situations.  Rather, it is the Lord’s will that we learn to handle them.
   The sense of being overwhelmed is very much a part of the journey.  The power with which God clothes us in His holy temples does not imply that our journey will be an easy one.
   As we accept our lot and move forward with what the Lord has asked of us, we discover that we enjoy the company of the Holy Ghost, angels feel constrained to join us, and the heavens open to our vision.” (Feb. Ensign, p.29)

I need to be reminded of this as I continue to travel my journey with angels.  With my birthday two days away, it will truly be a celebration of life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, I was just checking up on you, and was greeted with the good news that you will be back among us!! You say you are the one who is blessed, and I say we all are since you will bring your light back into our lives! Enjoy your days back to school! :-)
Love,
Nancy

Lana and Terry said...

I am always amazed when I check your blog. First, could you have more "adventures" in your family in just 3 weeks? Second, good luck on your return to school. I am so happy that you are feeling so much better. I love your quotes that you always share with us. And last but not least, Happy Birthday to my very special niece! You are Loved!!!